Seven Card Stud Variations
These poker games are based on seven card stud, but they all have differences from the original according to online-poker-rules.net.
Razz is a variation of seven card stud, but you will play for the lowest hand. The highest hand in this type of seven card stud will then not win. The lowest hand that you are able to get in Razz is A-2-3-4-5. An ace in a five card straight is the bike or wheel and the ace is a low card in Razz.
Follow the Queen
The follow the queen variation has a wild card. The game is dealt in the same way as seven card stud, however the wild card is not chosen by the dealer. The cards that are dealt will determine the wild card. When a queen is dealt face up to a player then the following card which is face up will become the wild card. If another queen is dealt, then the next card will take the place of the wild card. If a queen is the last card to be dealt then there are no wild cards.
Chicago is a split pot variation. This is when the high hand will split the pot with the player that holds the highest spade in the hole. The high hand and the spade can be held by just one player, which means that this player will take the whole pot.
In this seven card stud alternative, there are wild cards. The wild cards are 3s and 9s and when you are dealt a four you will receive an extra card. This card can then be played when players will have to add a forced bet and add a certain amount into the pot. This happens when 3s, 9s and 4s are dealt.
As there are 8 wilds and the possibility of a player having 8 or 9 cards in their hand, a winning hand can be five of a kind or a straight flush.
How to Play Five Card Stud Poker
Back in the time of cowboys and outlaws, five card stud poker was being played in West saloons and is the original form of poker. Five card stud poker is not as popular as it was during the American Civil War but it is still a poker variation to learn as it forms the basis for so many other games.
Here is how to play five card stud poker by http://www.playcasino.co.za/
Five Card Stud Poker
- Each player is first dealt one card that is face down and one card that is face up.
- There are two options for the first bet. The first option is a forced bet or a bring in where the player with the lowest face up card will need to put in a certain amount. The second option is where there is no forced bet and the first choice of whether to bet or check will go to the player that has the highest face up card. If there are two players that have the same face up card then the player that is first clockwise from the dealer will get the first option.
- Once the round of betting is complete, each player will receive another card that is dealt face up.
- The player now that has the highest hand showing will get to bet first.
- After each round of betting the players that remain will be dealt another face up card until each player has received four cards face up. Once the fourth face up card has been dealt, there is a final betting round. The players will then reveal their face down or hole card to reveal their entire five card poker hand.
- The winner is the player that has the highest hand.
In order to play five card stud poker you will need:
- Two to ten players
- A deck of cards and
- Poker chips.